Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selective connections
In another thread, which now I can't seem to find, you asked for feedback on whether or not the mechanism to connect or disconnect from a server was needed in Virtuino IoT. Here's my take:

I thought that the feature was the saving grace of Virtuino 6 as it allowed one to avoid overrunning the program when there were a lot of changes in topics all happening at once. I'm using 6 for a complex application, monitoring all boat wide functionality using a few Arduino MKR based systems and a vendor supplied beaglebone based power monitor. A wide range of data can be displayed ranging from water temperature to details about the nearest vessel to the amount of power being generated by a particular solar panel. Virtuino is great at this because I can configure easy to read displays, organized in ways that may sense for what you're looking at. The issue is that all this data can overwhelm the application, which is limited to about 30 updates a second. Since the user is a human, and not interested, or able, to look at all these different data points at once, it's very natural to divide things up into several "servers" (which are often the same underlying MQTT server), and selectively enabling them, the amount of data going to the application can be limited to a reasonable amount.

While IoT seems to handle being overrun by data more gracefully, keeping the UI functional, the data builds and what is displayed ends up being old data. In my testing I could see at least 10 seconds worth of delay in an update. This was with a synthetic test, not real vessel data, but the point is that the mechanism you put in 6 can avoid this and is a really good thing.

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I think you're right about the need of this function.
I have already added this suggestion to my schedule.
I will try to add this feature very soon.
(12-14-2022, 09:48 PM)iliaslamprou Wrote: Hi Lisa,

I think you're right about the need of this function.
I have already added this suggestion to my schedule.
I will try to add this feature very soon.

Awesome! Let me know if you have anything in particular you need tested on IoT or want feedback on things. Right now I'm running IoT with select parts of my setup moved over, MQTT sources, running on a Sailproof SP10 tablet. I'll eventually put it on Linux as well, but I use Fedora, so it's a bit of a pain to get going as I'd need to set up a Ubuntu VM.

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I am very interested on how the app works in different Linux versions.
I have added some changes to the latest version to support all linux versions.
You will need to install two extra libraries after the app installation.
There are instructions here:
https://virtuino.com/index.php/virtuino-...stallation
(12-18-2022, 08:05 PM)iliaslamprou Wrote: Hi Lisa,

I am very interested on how the app works in different Linux versions.
I have added some changes to the latest version to support all linux versions.
You will need to install two extra libraries after the app installation.
There are instructions here:
https://virtuino.com/index.php/virtuino-...stallation

Sorry for not replying sooner, I got busy around the holidays.

Do you anticipate releasing a flatpak or rpm or is the thought for people to use containers?

Lisa
Yes, I am thinking to support the snap package.
I don't know which is better.