Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Problems
My NodeMCU server quit working properly about two days ago. Looking at the output on the serial monitor, saw that the sketch was running properly, but about every two or three loops it would return :

1234!V00=?$!V03=?$!V02=?$!V01=?$

invalid request

and then continue looping properly for several iterations. I reloaded the sketch, but got the same results. I then tried a different NodeMCU, and it worked perfectly, so I surmise that the problem is with the NodeMCU.

Now, however, I am unable to connect my project to the new NodeMCU. I changed the server IP to the new one, but I get an orange bar with no text when I test connectivity, which I had once before, and apparently it had to do with the Virtuino library, or the NodeMCU libray. Ilias helped me fix that, but the server settings page doesn't give me the options to change them. I decided to ignore the orange bar and see what would happen. Enabled the server, put the device back into the system, and it connects right up! But it is not displaying data on the dashboard. It is supposed to read four DS18B20 probes, but the display reads zero for all four. When I read the serial monitor on the bench with no probes, I got -196 for each probe, and in the past, when the probes were disconnected I got -196 on the Virtuino dashboard as well. The zeros make me think that there is still a library problem, but I can't change them in server settings, nor can I figure out how to remove this server and create a new one with the proper libraries.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If I could figure out how, I'd attach the sketch and project files.
Hi,
are you sure the library in arduino code is the same with the library you have selected in the app?
I have this issue every time I try to connect to an arduino code that uses the older Virtuino library.
(03-01-2023, 10:08 PM)iliaslamprou Wrote: Hi,
are you sure the library in arduino code is the same with the library you have selected in the app?
I have this issue every time I try to connect to an arduino code that uses the older Virtuino library.

Using the server in the project, the library choices aren't available. I tried building a new server and using the esp8266 and VirtuinoCM libraries, and it connected properly, but it looks as if the data being streamed to the app is incorrect, since the sketch responds correctly when reading through the serial monitor on ArduinoIDE when connected to my PC.

I'm going to start from scratch with new sketch and project. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

BTW, I'd like to send you my sketch and project files, but the attachment function won't accept them. Is there a work-around?

Thanks,

Kirk
Hi,

you can upload the files to a cloud drive. Post the urls only here
(03-01-2023, 11:30 PM)iliaslamprou Wrote: Hi,

yoy can upload the files to a cloud drive. Post the urls only here

Dropbox OK?
Yes. just upload them them as "shared"
Two new data.

I looked at the VirtuinoESP.h library, and it had WEMOS_D1 selected as the board library to use, so I changed that to NODEMCU, but that didn't help.

Then I loaded the sketch to the original NodeMCU, and ran it with no other servers enabled than the serial monitor in ArduinoIDE. It ran perfectly, reading and reporting all four DS18B20 readings correctly (-196, as I had no probes actually attached to the board).

Next I opened the Virtuino Project in my cell phone. I examined the server in the project, and tried to connect with the server disabled. The parameters in the project server appeared correct, but a connectivity test returned an orange bar, with no text, instead of the green or red bars usually seen.

I then enabled the server and attempted connecting with the project menu. It began trying to connect, but was unable to do so. At the same time, the serial monitor began displaying at random intervals:

18:22:22.700 -> 1234!V00=?$!V03=?$!V02=?$!V01=?$
18:22:22.739 -> invalid request
18:22:27.682 -> 1234!V00=?$!V03=?$!V02=?$!V01=?$
18:22:27.718 -> invalid request

This appears every two or three iterations of the loop. In between, the correct data is displayed:

18:22:17.642 ->  Requesting temperatures...
18:22:17.642 -> DONE
18:22:17.642 -> Temperature for Device 1 is: -196.60
18:22:17.683 -> Temperature for Device 2 is: -196.60
18:22:17.759 -> Temperature for Device 3 is: -196.60
18:22:17.797 -> Temperature for Device 4 is: -196.60

The false data displayed is that of the fields in the server settings, followed by "invalid request".

My next step is going to be to build a new server for this project, to make sure all of those parameters, including board and Virtuino libraries are correct, since I was unable to figure out how to edit the current server.

Update: That didn't work either. I added a screenshot of the connection test results.    
(03-03-2023, 01:38 AM)woodnboats Wrote: Two new data.

I looked at the VirtuinoESP.h library, and it had WEMOS_D1 selected as the board library to use, so I changed that to NODEMCU, but that didn't help.

Then I loaded the sketch to the original NodeMCU, and ran it with no other servers enabled than the serial monitor in ArduinoIDE. It ran perfectly, reading and reporting all four DS18B20 readings correctly (-196, as I had no probes actually attached to the board).

Next I opened the Virtuino Project in my cell phone. I examined the server in the project, and tried to connect with the server disabled. The parameters in the project server appeared correct, but a connectivity test returned an orange bar, with no text, instead of the green or red bars usually seen.

I then enabled the server and attempted connecting with the project menu. It began trying to connect, but was unable to do so. At the same time, the serial monitor began displaying at random intervals:

18:22:22.700 -> 1234!V00=?$!V03=?$!V02=?$!V01=?$
18:22:22.739 -> invalid request
18:22:27.682 -> 1234!V00=?$!V03=?$!V02=?$!V01=?$
18:22:27.718 -> invalid request

This appears every two or three iterations of the loop. In between, the correct data is displayed:

18:22:17.642 ->  Requesting temperatures...
18:22:17.642 -> DONE
18:22:17.642 -> Temperature for Device 1 is: -196.60
18:22:17.683 -> Temperature for Device 2 is: -196.60
18:22:17.759 -> Temperature for Device 3 is: -196.60
18:22:17.797 -> Temperature for Device 4 is: -196.60

The false data displayed is that of the fields in the server settings, followed by "invalid request".

My next step is going to be to build a new server for this project, to make sure all of those parameters, including board and Virtuino libraries are correct, since I was unable to figure out how to edit the current server.

Update: That didn't work either. I added a screenshot of the connection test results.

I think I may have found the problem. I must have changed the sketch so that the Virtuino library is included, instead of VirtuinoCM. I'll check that out.
Hi, on the "Server settings" select the "Virtuino" library instead of the "Virtuino CM" library
(03-04-2023, 01:13 AM)iliaslamprou Wrote: Hi, on the "Server settings" select the "Virtuino" library instead of the "Virtuino CM" library

That didn't work either. I'm going to start over with a known good sketch from your examples library and modify until I break it. That should help me pinpoint what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your great help and app. I'm sure I'm just missing some little detail.

Kirk